I LOVE PORRIDGE! It’s one of my all-time favourite breakfasts. Quinoa flakes work the same way as oats and create the same creamy and moorish porridge. This quinoa porridge recipe is my go-to and super quick to make.
While there are great oat options for those who are watching their gluten intake, it is more difficult to get your hands on gluten free oats in Australia (mainly because of labelling laws). You can buy Gloriously Free oats (Here), but the safest option for those who are gluten sensitive is to use quinoa flakes instead.
Quinoa flakes can be found in the health food section of most supermarkets and are usually between $7-10 per pack. While they are more expensive than regular oats they do last. They are also awesome in place of breadcrumbs making them versatile (I used them in place of oats in my healthy chicken balls tonight).
Back to the quinoa porridge. The creamy, delicious and satisfying porridge!
- 1/3 cup quinoa flakes
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 zucchini, finely grated
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp stevia/coconut sugar/honey or 1/2 medjool date (optional)
- 1 scoop vegan protein powder (optional)
- Cinnamon and fresh fruit to top.
- In a pot bring the water to the boil. Add the quinoa flakes and reduce to a simmer;
- Add the zucchini and continue to simmer until cooked (approximately 5 minutes);
- Stir through the almond milk to get your preferred consistency. Add preferred sweetener if required;
- For added protein, stir through 1 scoop vegan protein powder (optional).
- Top with fresh fruit and cinnamon.
Have you tried quinoa porridge?