Today I trialled my skills in the kitchen and made some healthy apple muffins for my son. I had made traditional apple muffins a few weeks ago (which my son LOVVVVED), but I didn’t like the idea of him having the added sugar and bleached white flour. These apple muffins are gluten free, sugar free, and dairy free, and while they don’t look as amazing as traditional apple muffins, they do taste good.
What you will need:
- 2 finely grated apples (I used granny smith)
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup almond and coconut milk (by Sanitarium – you could use any dairy-alternative milk in place of this)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons stevia or rice malt syrup
What to do:
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees
- In a bowl, mix the apple, almond and coconut milk, essence, and eggs
- Mix in dry ingredients
- Spoon mixture into silicone muffin moulds (I used mini moulds)
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes
The muffins do look a little sun-deprived and don’t rise like traditional muffins do, but they still taste great and you can rest knowing your little ones are eating little bites of health without sugar, gluten and dairy (or bleach, additives, and preservatives).
This recipe made 12 mini muffins and 6 large muffins. Once baked, the muffins can be frozen and defrosted as needed.