If you have seen any of my breakfast-related posts you will see that it is a rare morning for me to not have oats for breakfast! Yesterday my friend made me an amazing quinoa and chia seed breakfast bowl so today I adapted my usual oat porridge into a healthy quinoa and oat porridge, with a few added extras. For those of you that have small (or older, or partners/husbands etc) children and limited time (haha, I’m pretty sure the two go hand in hand), this recipe is perfect for their breakfast too. My 7 month old son had the same breakfast as me this morning but without the extras and with mashed banana instead. Quick, simple, and super healthy!
Here are the basic ingredients that make the basis of the porridge (obviously if you have allergies you can make adaptions):
- (the quantities make enough for two)
- 40g organic oats
- 20g organic quinoa flakes
- 10g chia seeds
- pinch of salt
- Enough water to cover
- ⅓ cup rice or almond milk
- OPTIONAL: ½ scoop protein powder
- In a pot, add the oats, quinoa, chia seeds, cinnamon, salt and water to cover
- Simmer on the stove top for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Once cooked, remove from heat and add ⅓ cup rice or almond milk. This is when I set aside my son's porridge.
- To the rest of the porridge add ½ scoop of protein powder (I used Sunwarrior raw vegan protein vanilla).
- Add your favourite toppings and serve
If you make this then be sure to tag me on Instagram and add the hashtag #prettyweethings so I can see your creations!