One of my favourite go-to healthy meals is a healthy hummus salad bowl. Why? Because it’s fresh, fast, easy, complete meal, filled with vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, healthy fat protein and the all-important fibre.
When anyone ever says to me ‘oh, but salads are so boring’, I look at pictures like this and think ‘really…boring?’. A salad bowl is so much more than boring, and it can be so so delicious with the right combinations.
The perfect healthy salad bowl should have the following key attributes:
- A crunch. Iceberg lettuce, homemade healthy veggie chips, or crushed nuts are always a good option;
- Colour. A salad doesn’t need to be only green. Add capsicum, carrot, red cabbage, sweet potato, and beetroot for a colour burst;
- A low glycemic index carbohydrate. A salad alone isn’t the best source of sustained energy, unless you eat a mountain of it. Adding a healthy source of carbohydrate, like sweet potato, quinoa or brown rice, will help keep you satisfied for longer.
- A protein. Protein is vital for the development and maintenance of all body cells, so add a healthy protein source to your salad. My favourite salad protein sources include health hummus, salmon, falafel, mixed beans, or quinoa (FYI, vegetables and fruits also contain protein);
- A fat. Avocado is an obvious one. You could also try adding nuts, chia seeds, sesame seeds, or drizzling your salad with a healthy oil such as avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil;
- Flavour. Ingredients that pack flavour are important to salads. Think spring onion, sweet potato, capsicum, dried cranberries, fruits such as pears, and of course, hummus.
The best thing about this healthy hummus salad bowl is that you can use whatever ingredients you have on hand.
It’s not really a recipe as such, but below are the ingredients I used for the pictured healthy hummus salad bowl. Like I said, you can swap and change ingredients to suit your local produce and personal preference.
- 1 cup baby spinach
- ½ cup rocket
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, roasted and sliced
- ½ Lebanese cucumber, sliced
- ½ red capsicum, sliced
- 1 small carrot, finely sliced
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 2 tbsp healthy hummus
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Arrange the above salad ingredients in a bowl;
- Top with hummus;
- Dress with apple cider vinegar, turmeric, and salt and pepper if needed.
You can find my healthy hummus recipe here.
Do you have a go-to healthy salad bowl? What’s in yours?