Finding quick, simple and nutritious lunchbox treats is a challenge in my house, so naturally I was excited when these baked banana muesli bites came out of my oven! They are made with a handful of every-day ingredients and are ready to eat within 30 minutes. And, they are delicious!
When it comes to kid (and adult) lunchbox treats I have two major requirements. One, that they are made with naturally occurring ingredients, and two, that they are low in processed sugar. Unfortunately even muesli bars or treats labelled ‘healthy’ or ‘kid-friendly’ at the supermarket contain a number of processed ingredients, colours, flavours, additives or a LOT of processed sugar to make up for lost flavour. But, on the other hand the downside to making lunchbox treats is definitely the time factor. Who has time to be in the kitchen all day, especially those working or busy looking after multiple kids?
Lunchbox treats should be convenient to eat AND to make. These baked banana muesli bars tick all the right boxes, and most importantly they are NOT time consuming (because, let’s face it, we ain’t going to be making them if they take more energy to make than they do to eat).
They contain 4 household ingredients (and an optional fifth ingredient) and are dairy free, egg free, vegan-friendly and are free from processed sugar. And, they are delicious!
- 4 small ripe bananas (or 3 large)
- 1.5 cups rolled oats (low gluten oats preferable but not necessary)
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup sultanas
- OPTIONAL - 2 tbsp favourite seeds and nuts, crushed and dusted with cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees and line a baking tray with baking paper;
- Peel the bananas and mash with a fork. Add them to a large mixing bowl;
- Add the oats, chia seeds and sultanas to the bowl and mix until well combined;
- Spread the mixture onto the baking paper and smooth until approximately 1cm thick across the tray;
- OPTIONAL - sprinkle the mixture with the crushed nuts, seeds and cinnamon;
- Place tray in the oven and bake for 30 minutes;
- Remove tray from oven and allow the slice to cool;
- Slice into bites and store in a container in the fridge. Bites should be soft in texture.
- Makes 18 bites
Do you make your own lunchbox treats?