Bruschetta is one of my favourite Italian dishes and one that I always want to order when out. I say want because my husband HATES tomatoes. It’s a crime, I know. So instead I stock up on tomato dishes at home. This quick bruschetta salad is the perfect starter with freshly sliced bread, rice cakes or crackers or simply as a side salad to your favourite meal. And it is so ridiculously simple to make.
One massive tip to make this quick bruschetta salad DELICIOUS is to use a variety of sweet tomatoes. Of course, if you only have regular red tomatoes available to you they will work a treat but to make it AMAZING pick from orange, yellow and red skinned tomatoes.
Another top tip is to use a good quality oil. I skipped the traditional olive oil for an organic avocado oil and I can not describe to you how delicious it is. If you want to stick to traditional olive, look for local extra virgin oil.
My favourite place to pick up fresh tomatoes is the local farmers market. Because they are so fresh (usually picked that day/week) they are usually super sweet and tasty unlike tomatoes found at the supermarket.
- 2 large handfuls of tomatoes - red, yellow and red skinned, any variety (sweet solanato is my favourite);
- 1/4 red onion
- 2 tbsp kalamata olives, pitted and diced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (sub with olive oil)
- 1 tbsp balsamic reduction
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash, chop, deseed and finely dice the tomatoes;
- Dice the red onion and add with the tomatoes and olives into a bowl;
- Combine with olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste;
- Drizzle with balsamic reduction.
- Serve with rice cakes, crackers or freshly sliced organic bread.
PIN FOR LATER
Do you love bruschetta? Does your other half let you order tomatoes when out?