This sweet potato and zucchini bake is Divine! It is so nourishing and filling, and we all went back for seconds. I really had no idea what I was doing when making it, but….it turned out okay! A great way to use up excess sweet potato, and an even better way to get veggies into your little ones.
It is a totally kid-friendly recipe and is also low allergy (no gluten, no dairy, no eggs).
You could skip the almond meal dusting to make it nut free too.
So, you will need:
- Two medium to large sweet potatoes, 1 diced and 1 thinly sliced in rounds
- 1 large zucchini, thinly sliced in rounds
- 1 can organic crushed/diced tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp your favourite dried or fresh herbs
- 1 tbsp almond meal
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius;
- Dice and boil one of the large sweet potatoes in water until soft. Mash and set aside;
- In a saucepan, add the tomato, garlic, balsamic and herbs and simmer on a low heat for approximately 10 minutes. Set aside;
- In a small to medium oven-proof dish form a layer of sweet potato rounds, followed by zucchini rounds. Make sure these two layers are covering the bottom of the dish as they form the base of the sweet potato and zucchini bake;
- Spread a layer of mashed sweet potato onto the zucchini, followed by a layer of the tomato sauce;
- Repeat steps 4 and 5;
- Add another layer of mash to the top of the bake and then dust with almond meal;
- Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes;
- Set aside to cool (warm/edible temperature). Slice and serve.
- This is amazing as a Meatless Monday meal, or a side to any of your favourite family meals.
Let me know if you make this sweet potato and zucchini bake, and what you think of it!
For more healthy and family friendly recipes see my ebook, A Healthy Summer (available for purchase for $5.99).