I can not tell you how long ago I created this crispy beetroot salad, but I wish I had shared it sooner! Hindsight, right!?
There is something about a crunch throughout a salad. Something deeply satisfying. Something that just completes the meal.
And when it is this simple it will have you asking why you never thought to try it before!
As simple as adding crispy beetroot to your salad. I know!
The thing about adding beetroot to salads is that it stains EVERYTHING. The feta, the salad leaves, the bowl. EVERYTHING. I absolutely love beetroot but, to be honest, I usually avoid using it in salads simply because of the mess (I may or may not have cleanliness issues). Anyway, back in 2015 I grabbed a bag of beetroot crisps for snacking. They looked delicious, mouthwatering even. And then we had an impromptu barbecue that called for a quick throw-whatever-you-have-together salad.
I was snacking on the crispy beetroot while making the salad and the rest is history.
Because I made this sooooo long ago I can’t even remember the brand of crispy beetroot chips I used, but that’s okay because I made my own last week! They are so simple to make (albeit a little messy) and just as delicious.
To make the crispy beetroot:
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees and line a baking tray with baking paper;
- Wash, trim and peel 2 large beetroot. Slice into thin rounds and place into a bowl (glass or stainless steel best to prevent staining (also, working with gloves is wise);
- Add to the bowl 1 tbsp coconut oil, salt, pepper, and 1 clove crushed garlic and combine well (get your gloved up hands in there!);
- Evenly place the rounds on the baking paper and into the oven. Reduce the oven heat to approximately 100 degrees and keep an eye on the beetroot. After approximately 15-20 minutes turn each round over and continue to bake until crispy (approximately 30-40 minutes in total but dependent on the oven and size of beetroot – basically, check the beetroot rounds every 5 minutes to ensure they don’t burn);
- Remove from the oven and continue on with the salad recipe below.
(or you can just buy crispy beetroot chips – just be sure to read the food label first!). For more ‘chip salad’ recipes be sure to check out this sweet potato one by Land of Zonkt! It looks delicious!
To make the crispy beetroot salad:
- 400g mixed lettuce leaves (the fancy kind)
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 1/2 mango, finely sliced lengthways
- 1 green capsicum, finely sliced lengthways
- 8 thin slices of feta cheese
- 1 cup crispy beetroot 'chips' (see recipe within post)
- Balsamic glaze for serving
- Wash all produce and allow to dry;
- Arrange in a serving dish the mixed leaves, followed by the spring onion mango, capsicum and feta. Top with crispy beetroot chips;
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze before serving.
Do you love a crunch to your salad? What other textures do you love in a salad?
Like this? You will love my mango and feta Summer salad!