It’s nearly September, which means it’s nearly Spring, which means it’s SALAD TIME!
Not that I’m not partial to a delicious salad in Winter. Give me greens anytime.
But with Spring comes delicious and fresh LOCAL salad vegetables. Have you ever noticed how much sweeter vegetables taste in the Spring/Summer months?
I feel like everyone needs a simple dinner party salad recipe up their sleeves. Especially for those impromptu “hay, we’re having a dinner party tonight. Want to come?” nights! This salad is seriously so simple to pull together (a matter of minutes) and technically can be made during any season. Oh, and of course it’s super healthy!
Bringing a salad to a dinner party is also a sure-fire way to ensure there are healthy greens, fibre, vitamins and minerals available to you (and your guests). Actually, bringing a simple dinner party salad along with you is one of my top tips when it comes to sticking to a balanced healthy lifestyle no matter what the circumstances.
To make this dinner party salad I used organic produce (you can read why HERE) but if you don’t have the funds or availability I would suggest you just wash your produce well!
I mention in just about every recipe post that my recipes are almost always flexible. Please don’t feel like you have to hunt for hours to source a food just because the recipe calls for it (unless it’s a key ingredient, of course). If you don’t like olives, for example, simply leave them out or swap them for something you do like. Make healthy eating work for you, your taste buds, your budget and your local produce. It’s really does not need to be complicated.
I’ve also listed weighed measurements but as always, use more or less if you choose.
SIMPLE DINNER PARTY SALAD
This recipe serves 6 if served as a side dish.
- 100g salad mix
- 35g (approximately ¼) red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 80g (approximately 6) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 70g (approximately ¼) continental cucumber, sliced into half-moons
- 30g sun dried tomatoes, sliced
- ½ avocado, cubed
- 10 kalamata olives, pitted
- Balsamic glaze for drizzling
- Wash and air dry all fresh produce;
- Place the salad mix on a large serving dish and arrange remaining ingredients on top of the salad mix;
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze and prepare a dressing for guests to drizzle over their salad as they serve.
- The juice from a freshly squeezed lemon, himalayan salt and extra virgin olive oil;
- Balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil;
- My one-minute egg free mayo.
What do you love to bring to a dinner party?