VEGAN BASIL PESTO
A simple vegan basil pesto has been on my recipe creation list for quite some time! I LOVE LOVE LOVE basil pesto but unfortunately as someone who chooses to avoid dairy regular pesto is not always such a friendly choice.
My mum thinks parmesan cheese is the best part of basil pesto.
So the challenge was on.
How could I make a simple vegan basil pesto that still tasted delicious?
Well! Let me share with you this recipe. Whether you eat dairy or not you will LOVE this vegan basil pesto (I promise – even my mum and hubby were impressed!).
This vegan basil pesto doesn’t just taste delicious. It also packs some pretty impressive nutritional stats. Specifically, basil naturally contain essential oils that are known to have anti-inflamatory and anti-bacterial properties. Combine that with the healthy fat from coconut milk and nuts and you have yourself a protein-packed pesto.
And they say vegans don’t get enough protein!
A good vegan basil pesto is the perfect accompaniment to a sharing platter, pizza, pasta and bread boards. My favourite is simply with good quality crackers (shown below are my favourite brand, ‘Eat Rite‘ available in Woolworths and Coles – check out my snapchat krissyropiha for more of my favourite brands of food!).
- 2 cups lightly packed basil, washed
- 2 tbsp cashews, soaked in water for 4-6 hours and drained
- ⅓ cup pinenuts
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp coconut milk
- ¼ tsp pink himalayan salt
- Add the basil, cashews, pinenuts, garlic and salt to a food processor;
- Pulse for approximately 1 minute or until the mixture is a rough texture;
- Add the coconut milk and continue to pulse until the pesto has reached your desired texture;
- Scoop the pesto into a serving dish and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
*Pesto will store for approximately one week in the fridge.