A healthy twist on a comforting favourite, this healthy brown rice pumpkin risotto is everything it should be AND nourishing. Oh, and the kids approve too!
After sharing a sneak peak into the dinner I made for my kids the other night my Instagram inbox was flooded with requests from you to have this recipe. It turns out a lot of you love risotto!
While this isn’t a traditional creamy risotto, this brown rice pumpkin risotto is definitely comforting AND nourishing. AND when the kids eat my family dinners it’s a win, ALWAYS!
I was planning to add finely chopped silver beet to this recipe but then I remembered the kids. I mean, sometimes they play along and try new things, but sometimes I just want their food eaten. This was one of those occasions. If your kids love green things or trying new things you could absolutely add more vegetables to this dish, or do as I did and just serve their favourite vegetables on the side.
I’ve kept this recipe super basic and of course, simple and easy, because those are the best recipes. Please feel free to go wild with the veggies!
Serving size tip:
This recipe serves approximately 4-6 small mouths. My portion sizing suggestion is to imagine you’re using your hands and aim for a cupped handful per adult. Bulk your meal out with additional vegetables and a palm sized serve of protein.
To reduce cooking time you are welcome to use a brown basmati rice or wild rice. Both cook slightly faster than regular brown rice.
- 1.5 cups brown rice
- 2 cups diced pumpkin (kent)
- 1.5-2 L filtered water
- 2 tsp low sodium vegetable stock (alternatively use 1.5-2 L of stock)
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
- Bring a large fry pan to medium heat and melt the coconut oil. Add the brown rice, garlic and cumin seeds and toss until hot.
- Add 1 cup water and 1 tsp vegetable stock and reduce to a simmer. Continue to add water, one cup at a time, and stir every so often. After approximately 5 minutes add the pumpkin and another cup of water and continue to stir occasionally.
- Continue adding water until the brown rice is almost cooked. Add the final tsp vegetable stock and cinnamon and stir through. Once the rice has completely absorbed the final amount of water, remove from the heat and serve warm.
- Serve alongside steamed vegetables and a palm sized portion of your favourite protein.
- NOTE: This recipe was created with children in mind so please season freely as desired. This is not a salty recipe.
We served our brown rice pumpkin risotto with steamed broccoli, steamed cauliflower and corn on the cob. YUM! My daughter and I also had a few slices of grilled tempeh on the side.
As above, please note that this recipe was designed with kids in mind so it is not high in sodium. Adding salt or seasoning when serving is the best time to adjust flavour anyway, so flavour away 🙂 I added a little chilli salt before eating. YUM!
Don’t forget to tag me on social media when you make this recipe because I love seeing and sharing your creations! I’m most active over on Instagram!
DID YOU HEAR? Nourished in 30, the recipe book designed with the busy mumma in mind, is launching soon!
What to expect:
- A flexible approach to food and the “ebb and flow” approach
- Meal prep tips for even the busiest mumma!
- Kitchen essentials
- Recipes (lots – all delicious, under 30 minutes and SUPER EASY). All recipes are created with the busy mumma in mind. Most recipes will serve 2+. I’ve included family-friendly options/serving suggestions to take the stress out of your meals entirely.
- A 7 day menu plan. For the busy mumma who just can’t think this week. I’ve got your back.
And a quick note – even if you’re not a busy mumma I know you’ll love this recipe book too! If you’re busy or just love quick, easy and delicious food you’ll want to have a copy of Nourished in 30!
Join the list NOW to be the first to hear about the launch date, special offers and prizes! I can not wait to get this recipe book to you because I know you’ll just love it!
You’ll also get a free copy of my Super Simple Recipe Guide!
Stay up to date on Instagram by following @her.nourished
Krissy Ropiha is a Certified Nutrition and Health Coach and Psychology graduate, passionate about supporting, inspiring and empowering busy mums to take back control of their health, get nourishing meals on the table in less than 30 minutes and feel confident in their own unique body.
Strive for nourishment, not perfection.