When you’ve got hungry mouths and want an easy family dinner that is healthy and fun, this dairy free broccoli pizza is your answer. A dairy free broccoli pizza base perfect for those who can’t have dairy, gluten or sugar AND a good serve of vegetables. Top with your favourite pizza toppings and you’ve got yourself a deliciously nutrient-dense dinner.
Last week I had a few heads of broccoli that were looking a little sad. Sad enough to NOT be eaten by my broccoli-loving kids, so that’s saying something. But not sad enough to throw away and I HATE wasting produce!
I was trying to think of a way to use this sad looking broccoli (I’m talking like it was awful…apparently my kids need their broccoli to be perfectly green and sweet and this one was just a tiny bit yellow). Anyway…
I’m sure you’ve seen cauliflower pizza bases before. I’ve made them a few times and they are delicious BUT they also contain cheese. Totally fine if you’re okay with a little cheese, but not so fine when you have a child who is intolerant to dairy. I wanted to create a dairy free pizza base that was also nutrient-dense. And of course, it had to be SO simple.
This recipe is exactly that. Dairy free, gluten free, sugar free and incredibly easy to make. In fact, I made four bases in less than 30 minutes. Yay for that!
Once you’ve made your dairy free broccoli pizza base you can slice and enjoy as a snack OR you can top with a good quality tomato paste and your favourite pizza toppings and pop back into the oven for 5 minutes or until deliciously perfect.
We topped ours with organic tomato paste followed by finely diced red onion, tomato, avocado and baby spinach then finished with a little grated bio cheese. DELISH!
HER NOURISHED TIPS:
- If you have thyroid issues or PCOS do not skip the steaming step.
- Make sure you allow the broccoli rice to dry out a little after steaming or use a clean tea towel to dab the excess moisture before continuing.
- Broccoli pizza base can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for 1-2 days or in the freezer for approximately 1-2 months.
- Once made, store in fridge until eaten.
- Broccoli Pizza base can be seasoned with any favourite herb or spice or combination. I love adding nutritional yeast (also known as savoury yeast flakes) for a ‘cheesy’ flavour.
- Double recipe for a family of four.
Are you looking for a vegan pizza base? Check out this spinach vegan pizza base recipe!
- 1½ cups broccoli rice (approximately ⅓ head broccoli)
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 tbsp nutritional yeast/savoury yeast flakes
- To create broccoli rice, place the broccoli florets into a food processor and pulse until a rice-like consistency is formed (approximately 4 seconds on speed 6 in a Thermomix). Alternatively, chop into a fine consistency with a sharp kitchen knife.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place broccoli rice into a steamer and steam for 6-8 minutes.
- Once steamed, place the cauliflower rice onto a clean tea towel or paper towel and lightly press to ensure any excess water is removed.
- Add all remaining ingredients to a bowl and whisk together. Add the broccoli rice and combine.
- Pour mixture onto the baking tray and use clean hands to gently press the base until it is approximately 1-2 cm thick.
- Place the tray in the oven and bake for approximately 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and top with your favourite pizza toppings. Return to oven for 5 minutes or until cooked to your liking.
DID YOU HEAR? Nourished in 30, the recipe book designed with the busy mumma in mind, is launching soon!
What to expect:
- A flexible approach to food and the “ebb and flow” approach
- Meal prep tips for even the busiest mumma!
- Kitchen essentials
- Recipes (lots – all delicious, under 30 minutes and SUPER EASY). All recipes are created with the busy mumma in mind. Most recipes will serve 2+. I’ve included family-friendly options/serving suggestions to take the stress out of your meals entirely.
- A 7 day menu plan. For the busy mumma who just can’t think this week. I’ve got your back.
And a quick note – even if you’re not a busy mumma I know you’ll love this recipe book too! If you’re busy or just love quick, easy and delicious food you’ll want to have a copy of Nourished in 30!
Join the list NOW to be the first to hear about the launch date, special offers and prizes! I can not wait to get this recipe book to you because I know you’ll just love it!
You’ll also get a free copy of my Super Simple Recipe Guide!
Stay up to date on Instagram by following @her.nourished
Krissy Ropiha is a Certified Nutrition and Health Coach and Psychology graduate, passionate about supporting, inspiring and empowering busy mums to take back control of their health, get nourishing meals on the table in less than 30 minutes and feel confident in their own unique body.
Strive for nourishment, not perfection.