Packet taco seasoning/Mexican seasoning used to be one of my favourites! Now that I know how to read food labels I much prefer making my own. Learn how to make your own Mexican taco seasoning and create this delicious and nourishing Mexican chilli chicken bowl from scratch. It’s easier than you may think!
Mexican is probably one of my favourite cuisine flavours. Actually, I like a lot, but Mexican-inspired is definitely high on the list.
I used to LOVE those packaged taco seasoning sachets you’d find at the supermarket. I’d mix that stuff into EVERYTHING! I never thought much about it, until I started reading food labels. You just can’t unlearn that stuff.
Once I learnt how to read food labels I knew that taco seasoning I loved so much just wasn’t the best option for me, if I had the option to choose. I thought making my own seasoning would be super hard, complicated, time consuming and just plain annoying (and you know I’m all about super easy options!). BUT it’s actually incredible easy!
My kids and husband LOVE this Mexican chilli chicken bowl and they also love the chicken in wraps. So many options! When making this for my kids I just skipped the chilli flakes and also went easy on the salt. It’s easy to add those at the end if you prefer a spicier dish or a little more salt.
I know there are lots of you who, like me, primarily prefer to eat vegetarian dishes so GET EXCITED. There is an easy vegetarian Mexican bowl recipe in Nourished in 30 and it’s SO good! In fact, it’s one I make almost every single week!
- Approx 600g chicken mince
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ sweet potato, finely grated
- 1 zucchini finely grated
- 1-2 tbsp Mexican seasoning (see below)
- Splash of water if needed
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ cup brown rice per person
- ¼ avocado per person
- Handful spinach per person
- 4 cherry tomatoes per person
- Dollop of natural coconut yogurt per person.
- Mexican Seasoning:
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (optional - I left this out for the kids)
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp onion flakes/dried onion
- Pinch black pepper
- Salt to taste (I used garlic salt)
- To cook the chicken, heat a ;arge fry pan to medium heat and add the coconut oil and garlic. Once hot add the chicken mince and chilli seasoning and combine.
- Add the grated zucchini and sweet potato to the pan and stir as required until chicken is cooked through. If required, add a splash of water.
- To assemble the Mexican chilli chicken bowls, add a cupped handful of rice, salad ingredients and a palm-sized serving of chilli chicken to a bowl. Serve with a dollop of natural unsweetened coconut yogurt.
- Mexican chicken mince can be frozen or stored in the fridge and can be used across multiple dishes. Mexican seasoning can also be made ahead of time in bulk and stored in the pantry.
- Cook chicken with garlic, Mexican seasoning and coconut oil. Add finely grated zucchini and sweet potato, stiring as required until chicken is cooked through. Add splash of water if required.
- To assemble the bowl, add cupped handful of brown rice, salad ingredients and palm sized serving of Mexican Chilli Chicken and serve with a dollop of coconut yogurt.
Don’t forget to tag me on social media when you make this recipe because I love seeing and sharing your creations! I’m most active over on Instagram!
DID YOU HEAR? Nourished in 30, the recipe book designed with the busy mumma in mind, is launching soon!
What to expect:
- A flexible approach to food and the “ebb and flow” approach
- Meal prep tips for even the busiest mumma!
- Kitchen essentials
- Recipes (lots – all delicious, under 30 minutes and SUPER EASY). All recipes are created with the busy mumma in mind. Most recipes will serve 2+. I’ve included family-friendly options/serving suggestions to take the stress out of your meals entirely.
- A 7 day menu plan. For the busy mumma who just can’t think this week. I’ve got your back.
And a quick note – even if you’re not a busy mumma I know you’ll love this recipe book too! If you’re busy or just love quick, easy and delicious food you’ll want to have a copy of Nourished in 30!
Join the list NOW to be the first to hear about the launch date, special offers and prizes! I can not wait to get this recipe book to you because I know you’ll just love it!
You’ll also get a free copy of my Super Simple Recipe Guide!
Stay up to date on Instagram by following @her.nourished
Krissy Ropiha is a Certified Nutrition and Health Coach and Psychology graduate, passionate about supporting, inspiring and empowering busy mums to take back control of their health, get nourishing meals on the table in less than 30 minutes and feel confident in their own unique body.
Strive for nourishment, not perfection.