With only a few simple supermarket ingredients you are moments away from a fail safe healthy banana bread recipe. One that you can make even if you’re not a baker, like me!
I made this healthy banana bread recipe a few weeks ago for my kids and of course shared a little snippet on social media as well as with some friends and family, and the response was crazy! Turns out you guys LOVE banana bread, especially when it’s healthy, easy and kid-friendly!
My kids absolutely love this healthy banana bread and it made for the perfect lunch box snack.
So what’s so great about this healthy banana bread recipe?
For starters, those of you who have been here for a while will know that I am NOT a baker (ever wonder why there are so many raw desserts haha). Which means this healthy banana bread recipe is of course SUPER EASY. As you’ll see in the video, you could probably get a little fancy and wash your measuring cups in between, but hay – it worked and I had less cleaning up at the end!
The ingredients can all be found at your local supermarket. I love to buy fresh locally grown bananas from the Farmers Market and I also prefer local organic free range eggs, but again, use what you have available to you.
I chose to use standard self-raising gluten free flour for this recipe because it is what I had in my pantry (and I’m all about making baking as EASY as possible), but if you are looking to improve the nutrient-profile you can use a nut flour such as almond meal. Please note that I have not yet tested the recipe using any other flours.
As with most recipes on Her Nourished, this healthy banana bread recipe is dairy free, gluten free and fructose friendly (free from added sugar). YAY! The recipe does contain almond milk, however, if you need a nut free option you can swap the almond milk for coconut milk, rice milk, oat milk or a milk alternative of your choice.
This recipe is also THERMOMIX FRIENDLY! Simply follow the instructions as laid out before but instead of manually mashing the bananas add to the Thermomix. If you want full Thermomix instructions please let me know.
This banana bread recipe is FREEZER SAFE! As you can see from the video below I sliced the banana bread and placed each slice into a reusable zip lock bag and stored them in the freezer. As my kids and I went out during the week I simply grabbed a bag from the freezer and placed it into their lunchboxes. By mid morning the banana bread had defrosted and was perfectly delicious! The kids were very impressed.
WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW and see just how easy this healthy banana bread recipe is to make!
- 2½ cups gluten free self raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup ripe banana, mashed (approximately 2 large bananas)
- ½ cup rice malt syrup
- 3 eggs, whisked with a fork
- 1 cup almond milk (substitute with coconut milk for nut free option)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a loaf tin with baking paper (alternatively use a silicone mould).
- Sift the flour and bicarb soda into a bowl and add the salt. Set aside.
- In a second bowl, whisk together the eggs and rice malt syrup and add to the dry ingredients. Add the almond milk, melted coconut oil and finally the mashed banana and combine until the mixture is just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf tine and place the tin into the oven.
- Bake for 1 hour. Dependent on the size of your tin, check the loaf at one hour by poking with a thin baking stick or knife. If the knife returns clean, remove the banana bread from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 10-15 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to continue cooling. If the banana bread requires further baking, reduce the heat to 150 degrees celsius and check every 5-10 minutes until ready.
- Once cooled, slice with a sharp bread knife and store in the fridge or freezer.
I’d love to see your healthy banana bread as you make it so don’t forget to tag me on social media! I love sharing your creations with the community! I love seeing your food!
If you’re a busy mumma I’d love to see you in our free Facebook Group Mums helping Mums feel fabulously healthy! The mums are all beautiful, non-judgemental and have some incredible tips and tricks to share.
And of course you can check out my FREE Youtube health coaching channel where I share weekly tips and tricks to help you balance your weight without restrictive dieting as well as mum-life and what I eat.
Krissy is a certified nutrition and health coach, passionate recipe developer and a busy mother of two living on the Gold Coast. With a background in psychology and several years of experience in case management and coaching, her passion is to show you how easy, quick and budget-friendly healthy eating can be. Krissy helps busy mums become the master of their health, get nourishing meals on the table in less than 30 minutes and balance their weight in the process.
“Strive for nourishment, not perfection”. xxx