I’m usually way too behind the A game to make recipes in time for special occasions such as ANZAC day, but this year I snuck a recipe in JUST IN TIME! I’m so pleased I got into the kitchen today because this healthy afghan biscuit recipe is going to be a new favourite! Seriously!
This healthy afghan biscuit recipe makes afghan biscuits that taste JUST like the real deal, only better! I’ve also kept the recipes WHOLE FOOD BASED, so no dairy, gluten, refined sugar or additives such as colours or preservatives. Just good honest ingredients. This recipe is suitable for those following a vegan lifestyle and is *almost suitable for those who eat the paleo way (cornflakes aren’t so paleo-friendly but is it even an afghan biscuit recipe without them?!).
When looking for cornflakes to add to this healthy afghan biscuit recipe I HIGHLY recommend popping down to your local health food store and looking for the best option possible. Cornflakes can spike your blood sugar levels pretty quickly so you definitely don’t need to add to that by having ones that contain added sugar. Keep an eye on the label and look for the best option that is available for you.
Oh, and did I mention the best part about this healthy afghan recipe!?
You can use this recipe to make RAW afghans bliss balls too! I discovered by accident (who am I kidding, I totally licked the spoon on purpose) that the ingredients in this recipe hold perfectly well together before cooking AND taste delicious. I’d suggest skipping the baking powder if making raw bliss balls but otherwise keep the recipe just the same.
For more bliss ball recipes just click here!
So HERE YOU GO! Your healthy afghan biscuit recipe!
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp rice malt syrup
- 1 cup almond meal
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder (leave out if making raw afghan bliss balls)
- 1 cup gluten free cornflakes (no added sugar)
- ½ cup dairy free vegan chocolate (Loving Earth or Conscious chocolate are my favourites)
- 5 walnuts, halved
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Add all ingredients except cornflakes to a bowl or thermomix/blender. Mix together (if using Thermomix use mixing speed) until combined.
- Add the cornflakes and continue to gently mix together until just combined.
- Place spoonfuls of mixture into clean hands and (eat...just kidding) press/roll into a ball shape. Place on the tray and press down gently with the palm of your hand to squash the biscuit slightly. You want to keep the afghan biscuits thick so don't press too firmly.
- Once all mixture is on the tray, place the tray in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove biscuits from oven and allow to cool on a tray.
- To make the chocolate topping place the chocolate in a bowl and place the bowl over a pot of steaming water (be careful to ensure water can not get into the bowl or burn yourself. Mix the chocolate until melted. Place small spoonfuls of chocolate onto the centre of the biscuits and then place a halved walnut on top.
- Allow the chocolate to set and then store biscuits in an airtight container.
P.S. These are toddler approved !
Do you love afghan biscuits too!?
Are you newly dairy free and struggling? Don’t forget to grab your copy of my 7 day DAIRY FREE menu plan or check out my custom health coaching support options.
And for free health coaching, mumma-vlogs and health tips subscribe to my channel below: