As the weather cools down the kitchen heats up, and this mushroom quinoa ‘risotto’ is the perfect warming comfort-dish. Dairy free (of course), gluten free and incredibly simple to make, I wouldn’t be surprised if this mushroom quinoa ‘risotto’ fast becomes a family favourite.
I’ll confess quickly though. I’m not very good at making risotto. It takes too long and as much as I love being in the kitchen, I don’t love it when I have kids repeating “I’m hungry” 50 bazillion times while I’m trying to prepare dinner. I also tried making risotto in the thermomix (I even followed the instructions which NEVER happens) and it was a hot mess. Literally.
Fast, simple and delicious is what I need (sorry risotto) and this quinoa mushroom ‘risotto’ ticks the boxes.
As this mushroom quinoa risotto is such a comforting dish I highly recommend serving it with a decent side of steamed greens! You can never add too many greens to a meal so eat until your stomach is content.
The important stuff you need to know when cooking quinoa (pronounced ‘keen-wah’ to save you from any awkward ordering moments):
- THIS is how you cook quinoa on it’s own, PERFECTLY, every time!
- RINSE the quinoa before you cook it. Place the measured amount into a sieve and rinse under running water until the little foamy bubbles start to disappear. If you don’t rinse you may end up with bitter-tasting quinoa and nobody loves that.
- Avoid over-mixing your quinoa. For the fluffiest quinoa in the World, leave it be.
MUSHROOM QUINOA ‘RISOTTO’ | Serves 2
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 8 button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1 tsp Coconut oil
- Coconut yogurt to serve
- To cook the quinoa, rinse the quinoa in a sieve under cool water. Place the quinoa and water into a pot and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and place the lid on the pot. Simmer for 15 minutes without touching the quinoa. Remove from the heat and leave the lid on for a further 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- While the quinoa is cooking. add the coconut oil and garlic to a fry pan and fry for approximately 1-2 minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms, salt and pepper and stir fry until the mushrooms are cooked (approximately 5 minutes). Add the honey once the mushrooms are cooked (optional).
- Spoon the quinoa into the fry pan and quickly toss with the mushrooms. Place on a serving dish and drizzle with coconut yogurt.
I’d love to hear what you think of this dish when you try it!
Are you newly dairy free and struggling? Don’t forget to grab your copy of my 7 day DAIRY FREE menu plan or check out my custom health coaching support options.
And for free health coaching subscribe to my channel below: