I often get questions coming through asking how I get my children to try new vegetables. A DIY meal is how! This healthy chicken nachos recipe is a firm favourite in our house, both for the kids and mum, because the kids ALWAYS eat their vegetables and love that they get to serve their own meal.
The secret to making this a successful family meal is allowing a little free choice at the table. I simply place the chicken nachos mince onto the table alongside their favourite fillings (and perhaps even some new vegetables) and I’m always surprised at how much my children devour.
Below is the recipe for my super quick and healthy chicken nachos as well as a list of our favourite condiments/additions to make the perfect healthy family meal.
MAKE THIS MEAL VEGETARIAN:
Swap chicken mince for a can of kidney beans and a can of lentils (both drained and rinsed well).
OUR FAVOURITE CONDIMENTS:
- Diced avocado
- Diced tomato (deseeded)
- Coconut yogurt or natural unsweetened greek yogurt (in place of sour cream)
- Toasted mountain bread wraps (cut into triangles and toast/grill until crunchy) in place of regular corn chips
- Fresh herbs, finely sliced (coriander, parsley etc)
- Fresh baby spinach or lettuce, finely sliced
- Cheese (for my son and husband) or a dairy free cheese alternative
RECIPE FOR HEALTHY CHICKEN NACHOS:
- Approximately 500g chicken mince (free range and/or organic)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- ½ red onion, finely diced (omit if sensitive to onions)
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- ¼ cup vegetable stock
- 1 tsp coconut or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 heaped tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp cumin (seeds or powder)
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Optional: ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- Heat a medium to large fry pan and add the oil and chicken mince. Allow mince to brown (but not cook through) for approximately 5 minutes before adding all of the remaining ingredients to the pan.
- Reduce heat (low) and allow the chicken mince to simmer, stirring regularly, for approximately 15 minutes or until chicken and vegetables are cooked.
- Remove from heat and serve warm.
- *Note: If pan is hot transfer contents to a cool pan before serving to avoid burns.
If you try these healthy meal prep for kids recipes I’d LOVE to see! Share your snaps on Instagram and tag @her.nourished!
For more SUPER easy, kid-friendly meals made using easy-to-find ingredients you’ll LOVE my new recipe book HER NOURISHED KIDS! Her Nourished Kids is available in printed and ebook format. It’s a must-have for any parent!
Learn more about Her Nourished Kids and my meal time success program for toddlers HERE.
Krissy Ropiha is a Certified Nutrition and Health Coach specialising in early childhood nutrition and a Psychology graduate (BScPsycHons). She is passionate about supporting, inspiring and empowering busy mums to take back control of their family’s health, get nourishing meals on the table in less than 30 minutes and achieve happy and successful family meal times.
Strive for nourishment, not perfection.