So it appears we have a lot of Raw Caramel Slice lovers.
I don’t blame you!
This Healthy Raw Caramel Slice has almost disappeared from my freezer in a matter of days (no idea how that happened – I think we have a thief in the night). Even the hubby approves and he is a very big fan of the not-so-healthy caramel slice version.
For those of you with dietary requirements, let me share with you what’s going on inside this Raw Caramel Slice:
- Dairy Free
- Refined Sugar Free
- Gluten Free
- Soy Free
- Preservative Free
- Vegan friendly
HER NOURISHED TIPS:
- Once prepared, this Raw Caramel Slice is best stored in the freezer. It is free from preservatives and it uses ingredients that are not as solid at room temperature as their less healthy counterparts. This Raw Caramel Slice will withstand a few moments outside of the freezer for serving but my suggestion would be to not leave them out for any longer than 15 minutes before eating. It can be eaten directly from the freezer.
- There are a few options for the chocolate topping. For an option that will sit at room temperature for a little longer I suggest using a pre-prepared diary free chocolate such as Loving Earth, Conscious or any good quality dark chocolate. If you are planning to eat it straight from the freezer then THIS homemade freezer chocolate would work perfectly.
- If you prefer a date-free base you can replace the dates with 1/3 cup rice malt syrup (give or take). If you find the base is too sticky, simply add more dessicated coconut.
- For a nut free option you can swap the cashews for buckins (toasted buckwheat) or even oats. Alternatively, choose your favourite bliss ball recipe as a base.
- For the base:
- 1 cup plain cashews
- ½ cup dates, pitted
- ¼ cup dessicated coconut
- For the caramel:
- ⅓ cup tahini
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- For the chocolate topping:
- 100g good quality dairy free chocolate (or alternatively use my homemade chocolate recipe linked above).
- Prepare a slice tin by lining it with baking paper. The size of the tin needs to be approximately 15cm x 15cm. If your tin is too large simply prepare half of a slice tin with baking paper.
- Add the cashews to a blender and blend until a coarse consistency is reached. Add the dates and coconut and blend until the mixture sticks together when pressed but isn't sticky. If the mixture is too sticky, add additional coconut one tablespoon at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
- Spoon the base mixture into the base of the tin and press down until the base is covered and flat. Use clean wet hands or the back of a wet spoon to smooth the base if needed. Place in the freezer while preparing the filling.
- Rinse the blender. Add the tahini, coconut oil and pure maple syrup to the blender and blend until smooth (alternatively whisk in a bowl until smooth).
- Remove the base from the freezer and pour the filling on top of the base, spreading it evenly.
- Return to the freezer while preparing the chocolate top.
- To prepare the chocolate top, break the dairy free chocolate into a microwave safe bowl or double boiler pot. If using a microwave, heat on high for 1 minute, carefully remove and stir until melted. If using a double boiler, fill a pot with water and bring to the boil and then turn off the heat. Carefully place a heat resistant bowl on top of the pot of boiling water and break the chocolate into the bowl. Stir with a spoon until melted.
- Remove the slice from the freezer and drizzle with melted chocolate. Finally, return to the freezer and allow to set for 1 hour.
- Once set, slice and store in an airtight container in the freezer.
If you need a COMPLETE WELLNESS GUIDE with me available to answer your questions for an entire month then make sure you grab a copy of our EBOOK WELLNESS PROGRAM! We cover everything from meal and menu planning to Nutrition 101, dealing with stress, reading food labels, body love and positivity, eating out and how to eat healthy when those around you don’t, just to name a few.
We are currently offering $10 off using the code INSTALOVE, so you get the complete program and my sold out recipe book Nourished in 30 for just $37!
Krissy Ropiha is a Certified Nutrition and Health Coach and Psychology graduate, passionate about supporting, inspiring and empowering busy mums to take back control of their health, get nourishing meals on the table in less than 30 minutes and feel confident in their own unique body.
Strive for nourishment, not perfection.