When zucchini meets brownie THIS delicious healthy zucchini brownie is the result. And let me tell you, it’s well worth making!
This zucchini brownie is not only nourishing and nutritionally dense, but it’s completely 100% kid-approved! That, my friends, is an impressive result. This recipe is also dairy free, gluten free, refined sugar free and nut free!
I originally created this healthy zucchini brownie recipe using almond meal, a flour made from almonds. However, while the resulting brownie was divine it just wasn’t lunchbox friendly and I couldn’t have that!
After further investigation and trial (and eating) I can confirm that a simple gluten free flour blend (except coconut flour – that will not work) works perfectly for this recipe in place of almond meal AND makes the zucchini brownie lunchbox friendly too!
My preference as a Certified Nutrition and Health Coach is to use almond meal due to the nutritional profile of almonds over a gluten free flour blend. However, when it comes to school/daycare lunchboxes it is important to follow the regulations in place for the safety and wellbeing of other students/teachers.
This zucchini brownie does contain eggs, however, most schools and daycare providers allow eggs if baked into a product. Please check your local school/daycare provider to ensure you are meeting their requirements. I’ve listed out substitution ideas for other ingredients in the case that you are not able to use these at your school.
Below is the lunchbox friendly version of this healthy zucchini brownie. If you are not making this for a lunchbox simply swap the measured amount of gluten free flour blend for almond meal and continue as per the recipe.
Most importantly, I hope you enjoy this healthy zucchini brownie recipe as much as my kids and I did (on more than one occasion!).
As you can see, I had to work fast in this photo shoot!
- 1 medium zucchini/courgette, washed and finely grated
- ½ cup gluten free flour blend (NOT COCONUT)
- 2 tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste) - sub with equal amounts of extra virgin olive oil if not allowed at your school
- ¼ cup rice malt syrup
- 1 tsp bi-carb soda/baking soda
- 2 whole eggs
- Pinch cinnamon
- ¼ cup finely sliced dairy free chocolate (I used Loving Earth)
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a baking dish with baking paper (alternatively use a silicone oven-safe baking dish).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the tahini/oil, rice malt syrup and eggs until smooth and well combined.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish and place the baking dish into the oven.
- Bake at 180 degrees celsius for 35 minutes or until cooked through. The zucchini brownie should spring back when pressed lightly, yet remain moist inside.
- To save money, grow your own zucchini at home! In THIS article my mum shares her expert tips and tricks to starting your own organic vegetable garden at home.
- Gluten free flour blend can be swapped for equal amounts of almond meal (most nutritionally dense option) or regular flour (less nutritionally dense and therefore less preferable)
- If sesame is not allowed at your school/daycare you can swap tahini for equal amounts of extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil. Tahini is a good source of calcium and iron.
- If you prefer, you can bake this in mini muffin moulds. Please note you may need to reduce the cooking time to approximately 20 minutes if using mini muffin moulds
- If your child is sensitive to cacao (naturally containing caffeine) you can use a dairy free carob chocolate instead (these are usually made using soy). A wholefood chocolate such as Loving Earth Vegan Chocolate would remain my preference for this recipe, followed by a good quality organic fair trade chocolate if dairy is not a concern.
- I have not yet trialled this recipe with an egg replacer. I will update this recipe if I do.
“Can I just have a little bit more please mum”
If you try this I’d love to see! Share your photos with me on social media (@her.nourished on Instagram or Her Nourished on Facebook).
Stay up to date on Instagram by following @her.nourished
INTRODUCING OUR NEW ONLINE WELLNESS PROGRAM
The Online Wellness Program designed to empower and support busy mums to find their balanced weight, de-stress, de-bloat and feel confident without restrictive dieting.
This really isn’t your ordinary ONLINE WELLNESS PROGRAM.
I created this 30 day SELF PACED Online Wellness Program to de-stress, de-bloat and feel fantastic because I want you to feel AMAZING at all times – not just when you have a special day/event/party coming up.
I’ve put together a plan, a HOW TO, using the most nourishing foods possible. Nourishing foods that are known to leave you feeling lighter, bouncier and just plain happy. It’s really just an added bonus that you’ll lose the bloat and give your body a chance to unwind from stress without spending hours in the gym or kitchen.
You’re probably looking for the sign-me-up button but I really want to make sure this program is right for you. CHECK OUT THE DETAILS HERE. Flexible payment plan available.
Krissy Ropiha is a Certified Nutrition and Health Coach and Psychology graduate, passionate about supporting, inspiring and empowering busy mums to take back control of their health, get nourishing meals on the table in less than 30 minutes and feel confident in their own unique body.
Strive for nourishment, not perfection.