There’s chickpeas, and then there’s roasted party-in-your-mouth spicy chickpeas. Take your pick.
These simple spicy chickpeas are INSANELY simple to make (you probably have all the ingredients in your pantry right now) and also incredibly versatile. You can eat them as a snack, on pizza, in wraps, smashed on toast, in salads or even to top your Winter soups and curries.
I almost feel like a cheat sharing such a simple recipe, but you will thank me. I promise.
RECIPE NOTES AND HACKS
- For this recipe I HIGHLY recommend THIS Japanese Spicy Seasoning from Organics on a Budget (an awesome website for those of us who like organic food but also like extra cash for coffee/life). This is not a sponsored post, it’s just THAT GOOD. If you can’t get your hands on the spice mix you can re-create your own at home by using salt, chilli, black sesame, dried onion and dried garlic OR simply use 1/4 tsp chilli flakes and 1/2 tsp rock/himalayan/flake salt.
- If you’re making this for the kids I suggest swapping the spice blend for a simple pinch or two of salt. Keep the paprika as it adds character.
- You can use extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil for this recipe. As we are not baking at high temperatures either is fine to use.
- If you prefer to use dried chickpeas I suggest swapping the can for 1.5 cups of chickpeas. Ensure you soak them overnight and then boil in water for at least 30 minutes before continuing on with the recipe.
- Once made, these simple spicy chickpeas will keep in the fridge for 1-2 days.
- If you like your chickpeas super crunchy, reduce the heat of the oven and leave them to bake for a further 15-20 minutes (checking regularly).
- 1 400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp Carwari Organic Japanese Spicy Seasoning OR ¼ tsp chilli flakes and ½ tsp good quality flaked/rock salt.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and toss until seasoning is well combined.
- Spread the chickpeas evenly on the baking tray and place the tray in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until preferred texture is reached.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving or transferring to dish to store in fridge.
The pregnancy cravings are real.
If you enjoy watching recipes, head over to @her.nourished and check out the IGTV where I show you how simple it is to make this recipe! The video is less than four minutes long (no edits).
For more SUPER easy, family-friendly meals made using easy-to-find ingredients you’ll LOVE my recipe book NOURISHED IN 30! Nourished in 30 is available NOW in printed and ebook format. It’s a must-have for busy mums with every recipe kitchen-to-table in 30 minutes or less.
Learn more about Nourished in 30 and my meal time success programs HERE.
Krissy Ropiha is a Certified Nutrition and Health Coach specialising in early childhood nutrition and a Psychology graduate (BScPsycHons). She is passionate about supporting, inspiring and empowering busy mums to take back control of their family’s health, get nourishing meals on the table in less than 30 minutes and achieve happy and successful family meal times.
Strive for nourishment, not perfection.